This month we would like to give a shout out to the Campaign for Southern Equality, one of the organisations that have been fighting against HB2 legislation in North Carolina.
Launched in 2011, CSE is based in Asheville, North Carolina (US) as ‘a national effort to assert the full humanity and equality of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people in American life and to increase public support for LGBT rights.’
After playing a significant role in the achievement of equal marriage, their efforts have been now focused on the Hometown Organizing Project, which supports LGBTQ leaders with training, funding and other tools (like this LGBT rights digital toolkit).
CSE’s work is based upon empathic resistance, a new ethic which calls for 1) resisting persecuting systems by expressing the authentic self; and 2) approaching those who oppose your rights with empathy.
With the passing of the HB2 legislation, and through it Legal Equality Project, CSE has now joined forces with Equality NC, Human Rights Campaign and ACLU to stand against it.
How can we contribute?
- You can make a contribution to their campaign.
- Donate to the Southern Equality Fund.
- Join TurnOUT! NC for Repeal HB 2 Phonebanks near you.
- If you are in the US, you can help them set up an all-gender bathroom, especially in North Carolina.
- Report violence or discrimination anywhere in the US.